Search For

Discussion Groups: Finances and Investing

Topic: Tax adjustment
0 Like(s)   


3/16/2017 3:21:37 PM
Member since:
May 2013
Total posts:18
Tax adjustment

My dilemma is I did my taxes and filed online, got a letter from employer of an omission on my original t4 the following week, cannot get ahold of the CRA by phone, so I printed off a T1 adjustment form and mailed it in right away, Now I have received my refund cheque and the T1 didn't get there before they processed my claim, I don't see the change on the assessment that comes with your cheque. What do I do now? Phoneline is always busy to try and talk to them, I don't have an online account with them either, not gonna cash the cheque, I guess I just wait for a response from them? Any help?

Light & Love, Rise Above

3/16/2017 3:36:25 PM
Member since:
Dec 2009
Total posts:188
I would suggest

Depositing the cheque but do not spend that money until you have received an amended Notice of Assessment.


3/16/2017 3:40:09 PM
Member since:
Jan 2010
Total posts:1964

You could try going to Service Canada and they could help you out. You will never get ahold of them by phone lol. There should be a form on their website for making corrections you could mail that and the new info you received. Then they will do an adjustment. The new info might not make a difference but it may. I once had a form show up and took it to my tax man and they mailed it for me. It didn't make a difference in my taxes (owing/refund) but I had to pay like $7 for the adjustment. But that was fine because I rather have that missing info on my taxes than not.

Fishin Guy

3/16/2017 3:53:48 PM
Member since:
Dec 2005
Total posts:6213

Being tax time I cannot see them processing it till possibly months later. I had to do an adjustment one year and it took a very long time. If it is a major change don't spend the money.


3/16/2017 4:04:16 PM
Member since:
May 2013
Total posts:18

I always get about the same refund each year, so I know that won't change signifigantly,but the error on my original to my T1 adjustment is quite signifigant, I guess I will just wait and keep trying the phone.


3/16/2017 4:04:55 PM
Member since:
Mar 2009
Total posts:3019

I used to work for the CRA at the tax centre in Winnipeg. It's separate departments that handle your initial T1 and those who process your T1-ADJ (as much as any human even *looks* at a T1 these days, it's all handled by the computer).  
It's not unusual for it to take 6-8 weeks for an adjustment to get processed this time of year. Like A.G. suggests, hold off spending the money if you're concerned you're going to owe a lot. Because you sent the adjustment (vs. the CRA adding for you long after the fact once they review the return), you won't have interest and penalties, you'll just owe the difference and you typically get 30 days to pay once the reassessment is sent back to you.  
Just sit tight, it will come to you eventually. And like Fishin Guy says, depending on the adjustment it might not make a big difference. You can guesstimate it by running the numbers again through your software (but don't save it or resubmit it) or even doing it manually with forms you can print off.


3/16/2017 4:53:04 PM
Member since:
May 2008
Total posts:1155
Redo them

Redo your taxes with the amended amount and see what the difference is? If you owe, set that aside from the cheque you received?


3/16/2017 7:32:07 PM
Member since:
Aug 2014
Total posts:392

Abbysmum sums it up. They'll look at the changes , and send you an amended statement. So just deposit the cheque and wait to spend any, then if you owe you can just pay it off as soon as you get the ammendment. Happens all the time no need to waste your time trying to talk to someone on the phone. They'll get to it asap.

Page 1 of 1

  Get E-mail/text alerts for this discussion    
Bookmark and Share
This thread has gone more than 90 days without a reply and has been closed as a result. Please feel free to start a new topic should you feel it is warranted.


Current Discussions


Classified Ads




Local Business Directory

Virtual Assistant
Need help keeping up with your small business accounting? Have a specific project you'd like to do but just don't have time? Give Kathryn a call at 571-3020 More..
J&J Eavestroughing
Specializing in eavestrough,soffit,fascia,and siding. Free estimates. Competitive pricing. Quality work guaranteed. More..
Curvy Girlz Clothing
TRENDY SEXY CASUAL Sizes 1x - 6x Bottoms 14 - 22 Located in Minnedosa 112-110 Main Street South More..