Horticulturist - Sunken Garden
The Sunken Garden Horticulturist is responsible for the development and execution of the short and long-term Sunken Garden plans and strategies as set out by the Director of Horticulture and guided by International Peace Garden principles and best practices.
Located in a natural depression, The Sunken Garden is a 5 acre fenced-in formal garden that specializes in trees, shrubs and perennials that are cold hardy to USDA zones 2 and 3.
Experience and Compensation
Salary and benefits would be based on education and experience. Compensation for health insurance will be provided. Housing may be available, if candidate is interested, and additional housing is planned for construction in 2020 and 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and maintain the Sunken Garden to the highest horticultural and public standards.
2. Take the lead on Sunken Garden related projects.
3. Develop and oversee the hiring plan for Sunken Garden staff. (includes interviews, training, orientation and scheduling.)
4. Assign, supervise and facilitate daily tasks for seasonal staff.
5. Cultivate a positive work environment.
6. Enforce the rules and regulations of the IPG.
7. Attend administrative meetings.
8. Attend training and promotional events.
9. Keep daily logs of relevant/requested activities.
10. Devise and operate under an annual budget for the Sunken Garden. Coordinate with the greater IPG Horticulture budget as set out by the Director of Horticulture.
11. Plan the Edible Garden and coordinate use of produce with Caf?.
12. Operate maintenance equipment such as hedgers, weed-whips and mowers. Instruct staff on safe and efficient use of equipment.
13. Apply necessary herbicides/pesticides in a safe and responsible manner, consistent with the IPM guidelines provided by the Director of Horticulture.
14. Manage and update the Sunken Garden equipment and irrigation inventory as needed.
15. Oversee garbage and recycling collection in the Sunken Garden from Mondays to Fridays.
16. Manage (mow, spray and irrigate) turf areas in the Sunken Garden in collaboration with the Grounds Manager.
17. Maintain horticultural tools and equipment.
18. Manage the health and appearance of the water and water plants in the Sunken Garden pond and fountains. (Algae control, color treatment)
19. Control weeds on all hard surfaces of the Sunken Garden (excluding the patio north of the
Conservatory which is maintained by the Grounds Manager).
20. Coordinate with Grounds Manager on any issues relating to hardscapes and water features.
21. Take inventory of and map all plants in the Sunken Garden.
22. Give public tours of the Sunken Garden when requested.
23. Coordinate the creation and placement of interpretation and signage in the Sunken Garden with the Director of Horticulture and Director of Marketing and Events.
24. Coordinate irrigation scheduling with the Display Gardens Horticulturist.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter and references to Johannes Olwage, Director of Horticulture at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Peace Garden
Posted Thursday, February 13, 9:33 AM
Expires in 19 days (Sunday, March 15)