HR Advisor - Brandon, MB
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value ? creative business value through addressing some of the world?s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose ? to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What's Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The HR Advisor position at Brandon provides Human Resources and Labour Relations services and support to a pork manufacturing plant employing approximately 150 salaried and 2000 unionized employees operating on a day, evening and night shift rotation schedule.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Investigate, resolve and track employee complaints and work-related issues.
- Represent Company in Joint Labour Relations meetings with local Union executive and representative(s).
- Facilitates grievance resolution process, and is the primary Company representative through Step 2 of the grievance resolution process; and acts as a resource/support to Labour Relations Manager during subsequent steps (i.e. mediation, arbitration)
- Conduct internal and external recruitment and selection for hourly and salaried positions
- Assist and coach supervisors in determining appropriate corrective action, conflict resolution, and performance management techniques for their employees
- Advise and assist supervisors in interpreting and applying various HR-related standard operating procedures, Company policies, and the appropriate provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreemen
- Ensure the plant is in compliance with applicable legislation and corporate HR standards
- Track, maintain and report plant-specific labour and employee relations data and metrics
- Participate as a presenter and administrator in new hourly employee orientation
- Develop and publish in-house Standard Operating Procedures
- Prepare and present informational sessions regarding various HR-related subjects to salaried employees
- Participate in production floor Safety Reviews with supervisors
- Work in an industrial plant setting
- Process and resolve all grievances submitted by union in a timely manner
- Travel to Local union office may be required
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning ? courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Minimum two years of Human Resources Advisor experience in a medium to large sized company, preferably in manufacturing.
- Experience in a unionized setting.
- Experience working with a multicultural employee group
- University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business or Commerce; Diploma in Human Resources Management; or related equivalent experience.
- CHRP Designation or in progress preferred.
- Experience leading and participating in projects, presentations, lunch n? learns.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly developed organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Office and typing skills.
- Significant understanding of Manitoba employment legislation and labour relations practices.
- Practiced in handling confidential issues in a discretionary and sensitive manner.
- Comfortable in fast-paced settings demanding a high level of efficiency.
How to apply:
If you are willing to step into a new and exciting career, please send us your resume, cover letter and required certificates by applying to: firstname.lastname@example.org or https://www.mapleleafcareers.com/
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.
Posted Tuesday, April 13, 12:45 PM
Expires in 7 days (Friday, May 14)